Using the Children’s Department
Your family will love their visits to bright, colorful, and bustling portion of the library! Library staff is always on hand to help with book recommendations or to explain the many features their department offers. Ask them about our new “1000 Books Before Kindergarten” Program, and be sure to pick up a brochure or two showing all the upcoming events for your children. Book baskets are provided to help transport your selections to and from the library and can be checked out for 2 weeks.
Our Family Activity Center provides child-friendly furniture, soft toys, and a playhouse for hours of library fun. There are two preschool computers available that are preloaded with fun and educational games, including earphones and a tiny mouse for small hands.
Materials available in the Children’s Department:
- Leveled Sections: Toddler, Picture books, Early Readers, Chapter books, Juvenile, & Young Adult
- Special Types of Books: Big books, Board books, Concept books, Poetry, Folktales, Picture books for Older Readers, Award Winners, Paperback Series, Graphic Novels, Holiday Collections, International/Bilingual, & Nonfiction
- Audiobooks: Playaways, CDs, and Book/Audio sets
- Book/Puppet sets
- LeapPads and LeapPad Explorers including Leapster Explorer games
- LeapPad Tablets and LeapPad Games
- Learning Materials: Parent/Teacher resources, Reference books, Textbooks, and Story-time Kits
- Magazines for kids and families
- Music CDs
- Playaways and Playaway Views
- Playaway Book Packs and Playaway Launchpads
- And Much More!
Programs for infants through 6th grade:
- Weekly Storytimes for Babies, Toddlers, Preschoolers, and Kindergarteners
- Weekly Storytimes for active play including Bodies in Motion and Tiny Tunes
- Once-a-Month Storytimes for Families
- Book Clubs for Middles Grades
- Programs for Special Themes & Holidays
- and our annual Summer Reading Programs!
- Child Development and Education
- Health and Safety
- Media and Entertainment
- Money Smart Week
- Recreation and Fun
- School and Learning
- Special Issues
Directory of parenting web sites and articles available on the internet. Topics include caring for children, nutrition, safety, starting a family and pregnancy. From Parenthood.com.
Parenting advice, child development and family reference.
- Family TLC
Provides parenting tips, family activities, and many age-appropriate activities.
- PBS Parents
Information and advice for parents on topics ranging from talking to your kids about war and violence, to suggesting books for snuggling up and reading with your children.
- Sesame Street for Parents
Activities for you and your child, as well as information about the show that has been spreading literacy and imagination for nearly 40 years.
- TODAY Parents
Parenting articles and videos created by TODAY Show staff.
Child Development and Education
- ALA’s Great Websites for Kids
These sites are recommended for parents, caregivers, teachers and others by librarians who work with kids, and with the web, every day.
- National Child Care Information Center
NCCIC.org is dedicated to the dissemination of information and resources on early care and education to parents, providers, and national, state and local agencies.
- Reading Rockets
This site, prepared by WETA public television, presents strategies, activities, and lessons designed to help young children learn to read.
- United State Department of Education – For Parents & Families
Link to Federal government resources for families, including preparing for school, K-12 schools in the community, helping children learn to read, helping special needs children, and preparing children for for college (and paying for it).
This federal website provides interactive tools and other resources to help youth-serving organizations and community partnerships plan, implement, and participate in effective programs for youth.
Health and Safety
- Age-Appropriate Toys for Children
Describes “the basic characteristics of child development at each stage of growth” along with a listing of age-appropriate toys.
- Ask DrSears.com
Information on parenting and pediatric health topics from A-Z.
Bed-wetting information and support from the National Kidney Foundation.
- Car Safety Seats : A Guide for Families
Car seat recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- CDC’s Vaccines & Immunizations
Information on vaccines and immunizations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Also available in Spanish.
- Children’s National Medical Center
Information from a pediatric hospital in Washington, DC who is a leader in the development of innovative new treatments for childhood illness and injury.
- Facts for Families
Information on issues that affect children, teenagers, and their families from the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Articles also available in Spanish.
Learn how to identify and treat head lice. Includes games and quizzes for kids.
Children’s health information presented for parents, for kids, and for teens.
- SafeKids Worldwide
Provides parents with information to protect their children from unintentional injury. This site deals with child safety tips and standards. Information includes product recalls and articles on everything from bike helmets and water safety to household poisons and the dangers of firearms. Sponsored by the Children’s National Medical Center and Johnson & Johnson.
Media and Entertainment
- Movie Mom’s Reviews
Columnist and film critic Nell Minow’s movie reviews. Each review lists age-appropriateness and instances of profanity, nudity/sex, alcohol/drugs, violence/scariness and diversity issues.
- Parents’ Choice
Parents’ Choice recommends the best, most educational, and safest children’s media products, books, magazines, and toys on the market.
- Back to top
Money Smart Week
- Money Smart Week Teacher Resources.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Jump Start! Financial Smarts for Students
- Pennsylvania Youth Consortium.
Recreation and Fun
- American Camp Association Camp Database
Information on over 2,000 camps that have earned ACA accreditation. Search for camps by location, special needs, affiliation, activities, and cost.
- Crayola Parent’s Page
Lesson plans, art techniques, and more.
Games, recipes, crafts and advice from Disney Online.
- The Idea Box
Activities for families with preschoolers to do together.
School and Learning
- A Parent’s Guide to Helping Kids With Learning Difficulties
Information and assistance for parents of children with learning and attention problems, including Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.
- Scholastic for Parents
Everything you need to encourage a love of learning.
- School Violence and the News
Talking with your children about school violence.
- Stop Bullying
Prevent bullying in your child’s life.